Thursday, September 25, 2008

A rant about FEMA!

Ok, so here it goes and boy am I fired up. I am going on day 14 with no power. Like I have said before, I think I have been a good sport about it up until now but I can't take it anymore. I need relief. So, we decided last night after coming home to a dark, hot, smelly house that it is time to move into a hotel room until power is restored. The thing is, FEMA has reserved 98% of the hotel rooms in Houston. I happen to book travel for a living so I had my very qualified travel agent search every nook and cranny of this enormous city yesterday to no avail. We called in all the favors and still nothing. We were told the same thing over and over again: FEMA has them all reserved through the end of October for families whose houses flooded or have small children or elderly family members and no electricity. OK, great! I totally fall into that catagory, that is my ticket into AC.

WRONG! Guess what? I make too much money to qualify for aid??? HUH?! On a good month, we live paycheck to paycheck. Besides, I am willing to pay for the room anyway but I can't because you are HOGGING every hotel room in the 4th largest city in the country!!!!!

Seriously?! I have no recourse. No other option but to remain in my hot house with my two cranky children. I am not one to talk about fair and unfair, but come on...

Is this seriously how the system sucks, um I mean, works?

Oh well. Off to Louisiana I shall go for the weekend. At least I have that to look forward to!

Until next time...CNS

4 comments:

Jodie | Velour said...

Hey Carly, I was so surprised to see your little icon "following" my blog! How IN THE WORLD did you find it? How long have you been reading? I think you're gonna love blogging. I started mine for the exact same reasons you stated in your first post... I thought it would be fun - and it has been! Well, thanks for being my groupie. :)
I hope that y'all have a relaxing and very cool weekend! I can't imagine all the mess y'all have had to deal with - being displaced with 2 kids! I would be a GROUCH!

Carly Nicole said...

Hey Jodie, I found it through your myspace a while ago and have been following it every since because you are HILARIOUS. I decided to finally come out of the closet and write one of my own.

Yes, we are more than a bit irritated but what can you do? Oh I know...HEAD HOME TO LOUISIANA without your stubborn husband! That's what I am doing anyway. I am sure you remember how stubborn Ray was from high school. Well, he has changed tremendously since then, just not the stubborn part!!!

Thanks for the comment!!

Jodie | Velour said...

Ha! I try not to remember people the way they were in High School. It's usually not a fair assessment. :) Ten years has a way of changing lots of people! I know if people thought I was the same as I was then, they'd be way off! Besides, I remember Ray being a clown - a guy who'd do anything for a laugh and didn't give a flip about school. And he was always nice - which is not something I could say about all of his cohorts! :)

I hope things normalize for y'all soon! Seriously. I think I would be a grizzly bear. I'd be trying to move in with just about anybody - all 5 of us! Anything for some RELIEF!

Unknown said...

OK, so you know Jodie too? She's a friend of mine also.

Anyway, glad you stopped lurking and started talking. Blogging is so much fun.

And as far as FEMA goes ... I would also be a little more than frustrated. Me and electricity are like best friends. Just head on to Louisiana.