Friday, November 7, 2008

I Take Care Of Mine...

Being born without mature lungs, being 100% dependant on a ventilator AND an oscilator, 3 blood transfusions, spinal tap, 4 chest x-rays per day, having his blood drawn every 4 hours EVERY day, chronic ear infections (basically the last one lasted 4 months until Texas Childrens could fit him into surgery), chronic bronchitis; I am sure I have left some things out. You would think that would be enough for my sweet baby boy to endure in a mere 13 months. The first 13 months of his life. But, oh no. That would be fair. Nope. Not in the Schneider household. We don't know much about that.

It started on Monday. I picked him up from daycare and my normally giddy, goofy, happy, can't-get-me-down, baby boy was a bit cranky. So, right around bedtime I was walking the floors with him, trying to get him to sleep. Out of the blue, I hear a little rumble in his tummy and before I knew what was happening he began projectile vomiting all over the place. Did I mention that I was lucky enough to be standing in such a way that his exorcist like vomiting episode managed to cover my brand new couch and area rug? Oh yes my friends, I am lucky like that. And the smell...oh the smell.

So we did the usual. Up all night until he stopped puking right around 3am. I still got up and went to work and my mom came to the house to watch him.

For two days she watched him for me. The vomiting had subsided but the substances coming from his other end would not stop. And we are not talking every hour or even ever two hours. We are talking every 10-15 minutes. You can imagine what that had done to his little hiney.

So, today I stayed home with him because he continued his condition through last night. We got up this morning and he was in good spirits. I swear, we had not been up for 15 minutes when he burped. I thought, "hmmmm, that sounds quite "wet". For once I had my quick thinking mommy skills in place and decided to sprint to the bathroom and turn his head toward the tub (gross, I know, but better than the bed AGAIN or the carpet AGAIN). Sure enough, the exorcist reappeared. Not good.

Of course, I immediately called the doctor and asked to move my 2pm appointment up to 12pm. He saw the doc and she switched his antiobiotics and gave him something for the rash and vomiting.

I would like to say it's working, it isn't. I mean, he hasn't thrown up since his random episode this morning but the poop continues. And he is cranky ya'll. I know you are thinking that is normal. But, he NEVER gets this cranky. Not even when he is super sick. But, that's not my worry. My worry is that my instinct is telling me they missed something. You know that mommy feeling you get in your gut. The one that says, "he shouldn't be acting this way". He has suffered more than this and NEVER acted this way before. Furthermore, his symptoms are not improving. If anything, they are getting worse. The fever persists and the poop will not stop. I really think they missed something.

This begs that mommy quesiton....."what to do?"

You KNOW they won't take me seriously when I go back AGAIN tomorrow and tell them that my gut tell's me something isn't right. I mean, they are the ones with the $100,000 education right? They know better than me don't they? I just don't think so. I think there is something they haven't caught yet. I really do.

So, me and my big mouth are marching in that doctor's office tomorrow and as much as I hate it, they are running every test they have on him just to make sure.

Cause that's me, and I take care of mine. That's just the way it is.

It's gonna be a GREAT weekend!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Jodie | Velour said...

Wow Carlie. How awful. And scary. Any improvement??
Email me - jydardeau at bellsouth dot net.