Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Karma

I am going to write this as tactfully as possible, although, the four letter words swimming in my head and sitting right on the tip of my tongue are bountiful. You see, this is something that has puzzled me for quite some time. Approximately 5 years, in fact.

Why in the world do people that do not have children think that they know so damn much about children? It makes no sense to me. It would be like someone who cannot spell surgeon, much less perform surgery, walking into an operating room and expecting to perform open heart surgery. It's unheard of. So why is it, that people who have not experienced even a single day as the parent of a child feel that they are somehow in a position to judge you as a parent? That's the million dollar question, I assume.

I mean, I get that there might be certain things that seem obvious as far as parenting goes, whether or not you have given birth. You know, like the fact that kids shouldn't curse or talk back to adults. This is a pretty standard code of conduct that 99% of people in this world have adopted. But let me speak from my abundance of parenting experience and say that no matter how hard you try or how good of a parent you strive to be, kids will be kids and sometimes everything that you have taught them goes out the window. There WILL be times when a small child says things that they shouldn't. It doesn't necessarily reflect poor parenting. So why is it that you feel the need to look at me as if I should be ashamed? You all know that look. The look that says, "My child would NEVER EVER say such a thing! I will be sure to teach them so much better". Yeah right, just you wait honey. You have NO idea what you are in for.

You see, you don't have to SAY I am a bad parent to make me feel like one. That stupid little oh-my-god-i-can't-believe-she-just-said-that look speaks volumes. Funny thing is, it says more about YOU than it could ever say to me. Because, when you sit in judgement of something that you know absolutely nothing about it makes you look like the stupid one.

Also? What goes around comes around and karma is a bitch. Just wait until you do have kids. You will be surprised and you will be sorry. I promise you that. Because if there is one thing that I know for sure after six years of this whole parenting gig, it is that you should NEVER use the word never when referring to children. You just never know.

Until next time...CNS

1 comment:

Touch of Grace Photography said...

lol... I love it. I think our children are similar. My daughter says what is on her mind and I have learned to brush off the looks and just laugh at her. She told me yesterday that in "cirle time" today at school she was going to tell her friends that you should NEVER go into mommies and daddies rooms after they are naked in bed or just got out of the shower... you should wait until they get their clothes on!! thank God she warned me!! I told her that was not appropriate to talk about in circle :) I'm sure I would have gotten some looks from the teacher...
Don't worry about others. You are a great mom who loves their children. Thats more than a lot of people can ask for. Parenting is an adventure for sure filled with trial and error. Hell, my daughter already dances like there is a stripper pole in the room... I just shrug my shoulders and laugh...